Saturday 31 January 2009

Recompiling Saturday's Ideas

I am blaming the rain now. All my active plans for the day are gone due to the current weather condition... No shoes pictures, no chakra talking, sorry. I spent my day watching movies and reading books.

I am a full-time worker, quite committed - and lately busy - I must say, so I don't feel guilty for having devoted some spare time to relaxing and enriching activities.

Book: I am still finishing Eat, Pray, Love, beautifully written, witty, contemporary and scarily real. I am amazed by Elizabeth Gilbert, who shows courage throughout her self-development journey. And I am not only referring to the actual trip through Italy (eat), India (pray) and Indonesia (Love). She is able to dig into herself in search for answers... The endless quest, I would say, for soul food. Her style is engaging and her discoveries could illuminate many of us.
Movie: Slumdog Millionaire (by D. Boyle). A modern fairy-tale filled with pain, sorrow, karma, family issues, social revolution and redemption. I loved every single bit of it and I found myself getting extremely involved into the main character's adventure through Life. A Must See for those who like Hope.

Now I am putting together some pieces I wrote in the past, just as a Saturday night recreation. It's fun and hard to manage your life as a naturally lazy writer... You have to believe in it every day, every second, every word. It is a side-activity that requires a lot of attention and commitment... Which I didn't have in the past, busy as I was working, studying and living in NY. I like the challenge of balancing my life between work and words, definitely more doable now. I find it quite thrilling to come back home every night and open this blog to devote some time to it. Although I know that certain - admirable - people are able to stay awake all night to write and produce and create... And then go to work! How do they manage?

As a justification, I must say that my (real) job involves writing, creativity, research and a flair for reality, aspects I really love and enjoy. So all in all I test my most sacred skills every day/all day long!

Actually, next week I will be the host of one of my conferences and I am quite excited as there is a lot of expectation around it. One of the aspects of my job that helps me the most is the need to be constantly communicating a message. It can be part of your team, a business partner or a perspective client... You have to be able to deliver a message. A real-life school, I must say.

Maybe this is another side-reason for this blog. I feel the need to communicate and I am also quite certain that I am the most devoted reader of these words. I read them like they were not mine. I use them like a notebook to recall ideas and feelings and concepts and inspirations.

It is hard and fundamental to apply memories to our daily life. It appears quite clearly in both Eat, Pray, Love and Slumdog Millionaire.

In the book, the main character tries hard to heal herself through constant questioning and flashbacks of who she used to be, before choosing to fly on her "re/discovery trip".

In the movie, Jamail has to answer questions to win the contest Who Wants to be a Millionaire. He comes from Bombay slums and has no formal education. The memories of his troubled past will assist him in what I deem one of the most magical journeys ever.

I truly hope to tickle your curiosity and get you to experience both of them...

I am off. Now you can watch the Slumdog Millionaire trailer, no?

A+ Facts:
- Having been daydreaming about random holidays and places. I love Lonely Planets.
- Movie + Book made me smile and cry.
- My room is so comfortable that I would never leave it.
- Next week my communication and organisational skills will be tested, again. Love it.
- My cat didn't eat any pigeon today... (will tell you the whole story another day)
- I managed to stay away from wine, as prescribed by my new diet.
- For the first time in ages, I didn't get depressed because of the rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment