Wednesday 28 January 2009

The Fine Art of Finding Your Spot

After having found this http://www.paulgraham.com/cities.html, I felt the need to briefly chat with one of my colleagues. One quick note: please do read this article as it's an inspiring piece that could serve as a guideline when you are about to choose your next step.

These were the conclusions:

From: V.M. Sent: 28 January 2009 12:52 To: A.N.
Subject:
I'd always imagined Barcelona would be the ideal place—that it would basically be London with good weather. But when I finally tried living there a couple years ago, it turned out not to be. The message Barcelona sends is: you should live better. Life in Barcelona is very cool. It's probably the place with less power Europe where someone from Northern Europe would feel most at home. But it's not humming with ambition.

From: A.N. Sent: 28 January 2009 14:22 To: V.M.
Subject: RE:
When I decided to move back from New York to Barcelona, I knew I was giving up the Achieve Mode. I didn’t know what to expect precisely, besides good weather and easier lifestyle. Life in Barcelona is very relaxed. It’s possibly the warmest place you could choose among industrial, Western cities. But its Slow Mode and Laziness are starting to get on my nerves.

From: V.M. Sent: 28 January 2009 14:28 To: A.N.
Subject: RE:
When you decide to move out from a city because you feel a need for different messages, you change the game into a more active (and interesting) one. Its you now sending the messages (and don’t bother with who the audience is). All that matters when you are the voice is how you feel towards the new and unknown paths that will draw the messages of your future).

From: A.N. Sent 28 January 2009 14:30 To: V.M.
Subject: RE:
I tend to listen to my inner voice and try to turn its requests into reality. When New York was chosen, there was a sound need for movement, speed and challenges. Once they were accomplished, the needs shifted towards sun, light, time and human dimension… Lately, the voice is only talking about airy, spiritual and abstract concepts. It’s never been more appropriate to say that there is no place like your – inner – home.

Now my question is: if you live in a city where you go food-shopping at the local market, is General Laziness the price that you have to pay?

I hope to have energy to come back to this later.

A+ Fact:
- I read that article.

No comments:

Post a Comment